Are you looking for a way to keep your skin feeling soft and hydrated? A good body lotion with hyaluronic acid is what you need! This powerful humectant attracts and retains moisture in the skin, making it plump and supple. Keep reading to get several tips on choosing hyaluronic acid body lotion, and check out our best picks.
Table of Contents
- Introduction to Hyaluronic Acid
- Benefits of Hyaluronic Acid
- When to Use Hyaluronic Acid Body Lotion?
- How to Choose the Right Lotion?
- Best Hyaluronic Acid Body Lotions
Introduction to Hyaluronic Acid
Hyaluronic acid is a naturally-occurring sugar molecule found in the human body. It helps keep skin hydrated and supple by binding to water. It’s an incredibly powerful ingredient that can hold up to 1000 times its weight in moisture.
Not all hyaluronic acid molecules have the same structure. In the current market, you can find four of the most common updated versions of this ingredient:
- Hydrolyzed hyaluronic acid is a chemically broken-down, naturally large hyaluronic acid molecule that usually works on the skin’s surface.
- Sodium hyaluronate is a salt form of hyaluronic acid with a lower molecular weight than hydrolyzed hyaluronic acid. This means it more easily penetrates deep layers of the skin and attracts more water.
- Sodium acetylated hyaluronate is a hyaluronic acid derivative synthesized by an acetylation reaction. It is the most potent and effective version of hyaluronic acid you can find in skin care products.
- Oleo-HA is a substance obtained from sodium hyaluronate and castor seed oil. Compared to other forms of hyaluronic acid, this molecule is lipophilic and can create a protective film on the skin’s surface, preventing moisture loss.
Just check the list of ingredients of any body lotion with hyaluronic acid to find out what type of this lovely molecule is infused in its formula. It is extremely interesting and useful.
Benefits of Hyaluronic Acid
- Keeps skin hydrated and prevents moisture loss
- Reduces inflammation associated with dry skin
- Smooths texture and improves elasticity
- Promotes healthier, more supple skin
When to Use Hyaluronic Acid Body Lotion?
Hyaluronic acid suits any skin type and can be applied anytime you feel like your skin is feeling dry or tight. Using it after bathing or showering is especially beneficial, as this is when your skin is most susceptible to losing moisture. Keep the lotion in your bathroom to apply to damp skin. This will help you avoid “tricky” dehydration.
How to Choose the Right Lotion?
- Follow the First Five Rule. When you check the list of ingredients, pay attention to the first five components. Usually, they make up most of the formula and define the true performance of a product. Therefore, the closer hyaluronic acid is to the beginning of the list, the better.
- Look for occlusives in the formula. If we want to make hyaluronic acid more effective, we need to seal it with occlusives. This group of ingredients forms a protective film on the skin’s surface, preventing moisture evaporation. They include petroleum, lanolin, silicones, ceramides (lipids), and most oils and butter.
- Check out the reviews. Spend five to ten minutes on a little research about the product you want to buy. Read the review and look at customers’ photos because people always like to share their experiences.
Best Hyaluronic Acid Body Lotions
CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion
CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion is a budget skin care product with simple yet effective formula. It contains hyaluronic acid that hydrates the skin, ceramides that strengthen the protective barrier, and niacinamide that soothes irritated skin. Lightweight and easy to apply. This lotion is non-greasy and is suitable for normal to dry skin. Fragrance-free and non-irritating. Finally, it is ranked number one on Amazon in the “Body Lotion” category.
Drunk Elephant Sili Body Lotion
Drunk Elephant Sili Body Lotion is a real hydrating bomb! It contains a special form of hyaluronic acid, sodium hyaluronate crosspolymer, which is five times more powerful in binding the water. Besides, the formula includes squalane that eases dry patches, ceramides that restore poorly functioning barrier, and plum extract that reverses the effects of free radicals. Truly unscented. This lotion is fast-absorbing and non-greasy, making it a good choice for daily use. It might seem pricey, but a little goes a long way.
Elastalift Instant Skin Hydrator
Elastalift Instant Skin Hydrator is the best option for people with sensitive skin. It is free of stuff that can cause allergies and dermatologist tested. Besides, the lotion is full of beneficial ingredients like borage oil, aloe vera, shea butter, and coconut oil. When applied to the skin, it satisfies its thirst and minimizes the look of scars and cracked heels. Give it a try, and you will fall in love with this product at first touch.
HEMPZ Triple Moisture Body Lotion
Do you know what is so special about this body lotion? It has a pleasant smell. Many customers claim to love it because it helps them relax and slowly go to sleep. Of course, this is not the only positive thing we can say about this product. First, it contains our lovely hyaluronic acid in the form of sodium hyaluronate, which can bring a lot of moisture into the deepest layers of the skin. Second, it has natural oils and vitamins. Together they protect, nourish, and repair the skin. Finally, this lotion is vegan and cruelty-free.
Medix 5.5, Hyaluronic + Bulgarian Rose
This lotion is a real magic cocktail infused with nourishing plant antioxidants, soothing agents, and humectants. The best candidates for using it are people with aging skin and those who want to promote firmness. It is vegan and free of toxic chemicals. Besides, the formula has ideal pH that can boost the optimal environment where the skin’s natural flora can flourish. Hyaluronic acid in this product comes in the form of sodium hyaluronate, which is very moisturizing and has better penetrating power.